Migrating from Informatica to Talend
TEKsystems Global Services offers a tool for seamless, automated migration with minimal manual intervention
Feb. 24, 2020 | By: Felix Christopher and Wilson Pereira
Talend is a single suite of data integration and data integrity applications known for its open source architecture, flexibility, portability and ease of use. It’s been recognized four times as a leader in Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for Data Integration Tools. Organizations moving to Talend, especially those with large Informatica footprints, may face challenges with the size of the migration and the possible impact on service and budget. With deep experience in data analytics and insights, we’ve created a tool to help make the migration as smooth as possible.
But first, a little about the Talend product. Some key features of the platform are:
- Unified environment. Talend describes their product as a unified suite of apps to collect, govern, transform and share data across cloud and on-premises within the same environment.
- Platform independence and flexibility. Talend generates a native Java code for all jobs and workflows, which allows Talend code to be easily ported and run on any system running a Java environment across multiple cloud providers. Moreover, Talend Data Fabric supports a serverless environment with continuous integration (CI) and continuous delivery (CD), helping companies reduce time to market.
- Versatility. Talend provides options of open-source or licensed platforms and cost-efficient solutions that cater to both small- and large-scale computing requirements.
- Convenience, personalization, and data privacy and protection. Getting any of these wrong can have disastrous consequences for your organization’s revenue and reputation.
- Pervasive data quality. Talend puts data quality at the core of the data value chain, not at the edge, and makes contributing to data quality easy for everyone. Data quality capabilities are automated throughout the data pipeline to provide trusted data at speed.
Figure: Talend Architecture (Source)
Moving from Informatica to Talend
Customers value Talend’s flexibility, portability and ease of use. If you’ve decided to move a large Informatica footprint to Talend, you will need all applications running on Informatica proprietary tools to be migrated to the Talend environment. Between architecture and behaviors, there are a lot of differences between these two extract, transform, load (ETL) tools. TEKsystems Global Services has developed a tool that makes a seamless, automated migration with minimal manual intervention achievable. The addition of repository-level migration, audit reports and Talend best practices has made this accelerator developer-friendly and easy to use.
How it works
AMPGS for ETL Conversion is a proprietary accelerator tool created by TEKsystems Global Services. It’s part of a family of hybrid solutions that speed your time to market, user adoption and optimized value across your technology stack. This AMPGS migrates Informatica workflows and mappings to Talend jobs with minimal manual intervention.
This AMPGS parses Informatica metadata which is then used to populate the Talend components. The generated Talend XML can be directly loaded into the Talend workspace wherein developers can quickly validate and run the jobs. It enables a seamless migration in a cost-efficient, highly reliable, consistent and rapid manner by reducing manual development effort.
Once migration is complete, we create multiple audit reports and a detailed summary of what we have done in longevity to help our clients validate the migrations and quickly report on it. Since this AMPGS enables multilevel migrations (at the repository level, workflow level or mapping level), it is an extremely efficient tool for data migration.
Estimated Time Savings Using AMPGS for ETL Conversion
Talend Development Time
(Build 100 Talend jobs)
AMPGSfor ETL Conversion
(Convert 100 jobs)
|Estimated Effort Reduction % Using AMPGS|
|Simple||800 hours (8 hours per mapping)||100 hours||88%|
|Medium||1,600+ hours (16 hours per mapping)||500 hours||70%|
|High||4,000+ hours (40 hours per mapping)||1,200 hours||70%|
*Development time includes analysing the Informatica mapping, Talend Job development and unit testing.
If you’re interested in more information or scheduling a demo on AMPGS for ETL Conversion, please contact:
Felix Christopher is a senior technical service manager with TEKsystems Global Services who is responsible for preparing requirement specifications for the AMP for Informatica to Talend Migration, designing the architecture and leading the team for completion.
Wilson Pereira is a senior principal architect for TEKsystems Global Services who is responsible for technical use case specifications for AMP for Informatica to Talend Migration, supporting architecture reviews and technical issues during development.