Some experience leading or participating in a virtual and/or global work team and familiarity with project concepts is recommended for the most valuable experience.
This “horizontal” workshop provides a context and framework around which complementary sets of knowledge and skills can be leveraged and applied to offshore outsourcing of work. This practical workshop focuses on teams that interact with offshore resources as it pertains to management, technical interactions and monitoring. Participants will move beyond the basics to apply more sophisticated techniques. Hints and tips for bridging cultural differences, organizing the work and fostering effective work relationships are addressed in this interactive workshop.
This course is designed for individuals responsible for effective team collaboration in an offshore internal or external environment. Some experience with project concepts is recommended.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Explore the nature of offshore work that is applicable to any offshore initiative by understanding industry challenges and how they may relate to your own challenges
- Improve cultural awareness and apply different techniques to bridge cultural orientation gaps
- Extend the application of management tools as they apply in a globally sourced environment
- Enhance your communication skills when dealing with offshore resources
- Assess the relationship with offshore resources and adjust your approach accordingly
- Assess technology available for collaborative communications across cultures
- Improve your risk awareness regardless of project type
- Apply techniques to mitigate global sourcing risks and improve processes across a life cycle regardless of methodology
- Introduction and Underlying Concepts
Explore the framework used to assess the offshore relationship by type of project and differentiate between the different levels of offshore relationships.
a. Course Intro
b. Some History
c. Virtual Team Refresher
d. Assessing the Relationship with Offshore Resources
(1) Offsourcing Maturity Model
(2) Variations by Project Type
(3) Applying the Framework
(4) Stakeholder Perspectives
- Tools and Techniques for Bridging the Cultural Gaps
Gain a better understanding of cultural preferences and apply techniques to quickly build trust with your offshore resources to work more effectively as an integrated team.
a. Awareness of Cultural Differences
b. Creating a Team Orientation Package
c. Building Trust
(1) How to Quickly Build Trust with your Offshore Resources
(2) Trust vs. How Closely to Monitor
(3) Knowledge Transfer
(4) Differentiating Between Climate and Culture
d. Knowledge Transfer
e. Enhancing your Management Techniques to Bridge the Cultural Gap
(1) Managing Risks Across Teams
(2) Managing Project Factor Priority Expectation Differences
- Communication is the Key to Success
Explore and apply various techniques to improve cross-cultural communications with your offshore resources.
a. Refresher for Core Skills in Communications
b. Hints and Tips for Verbal Communications
c. Using Technology for Collaborative Communications
d. Enhancing your Management Techniques to Improve Communications
(1) Impact to the Communication Plan
(2) Estimating and Status Reporting Across Cultures
- System Development Lifecycle Considerations
Gain a better understanding of phase by phase process impacts.
a. Considerations by Phase
b. Expectations Gap
(1) Rework Impacts
(2) Hints and Tips by Phase
c. Agile Refresher and Considerations
d. Enhancing your Management Techniques to Improve SDLC Team Activities