TEKsystems Survey Finds IT Geeks Proud of Career Despite Tradeoffs; Pace of Technology and Life-Balance Highest Stress Factors
May 21, 2013 | HANOVER, MD | For media inquiries, please contact us at media@TEKsystems.com.
VIEW TEKSYSTEMS' STRESS & PRIDE INFOGRAPHIC
Hanover, Md. – May 20, 2013 – TEKsystems®, a leading provider of IT staffing solutions, IT talent management expertise and IT services, today announced results of a survey that highlights IT professionals’ views toward current levels of career pride and job stress. The survey, delivered in advance of Geek Pride Day on May 25 and the summer vacation season, highlights that despite the high demands of their job, the vast majority of IT professionals are satisfied with their career choice. The survey also clearly illustrates that senior-level IT professionals have significantly greater demands placed upon them and much less work-life balance.
The study, conducted as part of TEKsystems’ IT Talent Management Survey Series, uncovered the following:
A Tale of Two ITs
- Always On vs. Punch Clock: On average, the top two responses regarding expectations for accessibility were “available 24/7” at 41 percent, followed by “available 8 a.m.- 6 p.m.” at 38 percent. There was very little middle ground between the two extremes with 14 percent of respondents indicating “6 a.m – 8 p.m.” and seven percent indicating “6 a.m. to midnight.” Fifty-seven percent of senior-level IT professionals indicated they were expected to be “available 24/7” compared to 37 percent for entry and mid-level IT professionals.
Speed of Technology and Maintaining Work-Life Balance Highest Stress Points
- Two-Headed Monster: IT professionals rate “keeping up with technology” (31%) and “impact on work-life balance” (28%) as the most stressful aspects of the IT profession. However, senior-level IT professionals rate work-life balance as the top issue (33%) followed by technology (31%), while the entry and mid-level respondents rate technology first (31%) followed by work-life balance (27%).
- No Rest for the Weary: More than 80 percent of respondents indicate that their organizations make no staffing (i.e., bringing in temporary help) or workload adjustments (i.e., lessening workload, extending deadlines) during IT staff summer vacations. Sixty-seven percent indicate their vacations have been interrupted by work demands.
- Golden Handcuffs: Sixty-seven percent of senior IT professionals indicate they are expected to be available during vacation. Of this group, 44 percent say they are expected to be available “24/7” – only a 13 percent decline compared to their normal working schedule.
- The Buck Stops There: Meanwhile 71 percent of the entry and mid-level respondents indicate that they are not expected to be available during vacation.
Proud, But Not Loud
- No Regrets: More than 80 percent of respondents indicate that they would still choose to pursue IT as a career and would recommend it as a career to others.
- Nothing’s Perfect: However, 29 percent say, “I am proud that I chose IT as a career BUT, I am NOT proud of my current role, assignments and responsibilities.” Sixty-six percent of respondents indicate they are proud of their career choice and current assignments.
- Don’t Talk Shop: Twenty-eight percent indicate that amongst family, friends and acquaintances they hide the fact that they work in IT for fear of being asked to provide technical help.
"Even though IT professionals across the board, from entry to senior level, feel the stress of the job, they continue to be proud of their careers. When the demands of a job push beyond the hours of 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and require attention 24/7, it’s critical for organizations to manage their talent so they remain motivated and engaged,” says TEKsystems Director, Rachel Russell."
TEKsystems' Rachel Russell is available for additional commentary. For more information about the survey or to schedule an interview, please contact Rick McLaughlin (TEKsystems@daviesmurphy.com).
People are at the heart of every successful business initiative. At TEKsystems, an Allegis Group company, we understand people. Every year we deploy more than 80,000 IT professionals at 6,000 client sites across North America, Europe and Asia. Our deep insights into IT human capital management enable us to help our clients achieve their business goals–while optimizing their IT workforce strategies. We provide IT staffing solutions and IT services to help our clients plan, build and run their critical business initiatives. Through our range of quality-focused delivery models, we meet our clients where they are, and take them where they want to go, the way they want to get there.