Las Vegas, NV, US
Position: Planning Engineer
The Planning Engineer is responsible for performance of field inspections and the creation of technical documentation of school technology construction projects. Additionally, they ensure that the network standards are executed within the project from a design phase to the hand-off to Operations. The Planning Engineer is also responsible for providing current status updates to Supervisor along with effective communication amongst team members. Stakeholder communications is a large portion of the successful completion of this role.
- Performs Proof of Performance (PoP) testing of networks to ensure standards are upheld
- Participates/ represents in technical meetings with customer and telecommunications functional staff
- Performs contractor coordination activities
- Demonstrates a willingness to learn new technologies, skills and procedures
- Demonstrates initiative and resourcefulness in finding solutions to problems independently of others
- Plans network equipment installations by reviewing service requests, plans, manuals and technical guides
- Orders and gathers requirements, supplies and tools needed to complete new builds and other projects
- Review of contractor product submittals and drawings for projects
- Installs routers, switches, cable management, wireless access points, backup power supplies and other network devices.
- Voice and data as well as WAN/LAN network architectures
- Project Management and experience in leading telecommunication activities/ projects
- Telecommunications room design to include but not limited to rack/tray layout, power and HVAC calculations along with the principles of grounding and bonding an area
- BICSI standards and current industry accepted practices
- Low voltage structured wiring
- Cabling and electrical drawings
- Various phases of the construction process
- Performance of contractor inspections
- Foundry/ Brocade appliances, routers, and switches
- APC environmental and uninterruptible power supplies
- Cisco routers, switches, and wireless access points
- Extreme Networks switches
- MiLAN switches
- Brocade, Cisco, Meru & Motorola Wireless solutions
- Network testing tools
- Principles, methods, and procedures applied in the operation of computers, peripheral equipment, application software, and networks
- Computer hardware, networking, operating system software and its applications
- Proper office methods, practices, and procedures
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy
- Ensure user needs are met in a timely and satisfactory manner
- Communicate effectively in both oral and written form
- Effectively operate computer hardware, software, and peripheral equipment
- Perform general repairs on computer and related hardware and software
- Install, configure, and network computer equipment
- Lift computer equipment using safety procedures and equipment up to 50 pounds
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties
- Stand or sit for long periods of time
- Reach locations above the head
High school diploma or equivalent required. Four-year degree, vocational education, or military service preferred
Five to ten years of related experience in the design, maintenance, installation, configuration, upgrades of hardware, software and local area networks and other telecommunications equipment. Must possess a strong background with networking, telecom infrastructure, routing and subnet architectures.
Industry standard certifications such as BICSI RCDD or manufacturer based certifications are preferred.
Conditions of employment:
- A valid Nevada Driver License
- Use of an automobile
- Must pass a criminal background investigation
Join TEKsystems®, a leading IT staffing, IT talent management and IT services firm, and get your career on the fast track. We have more than 100 offices worldwide, and we partner with over 6,000 clients and place over 80,000 consultants per year. At TEKsystems, we seek to understand our consultants' skills, goals and interests, allowing us to present targeted job opportunities on a contract, contract-to-hire or direct placement basis. TEKsystems' leadership in the market stems from our sincere and personal commitment to driving the success of our customers, consultants and each other.
The company is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regards to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation, such as the modification or adjustment of the job application process or interviewing process due to a disability, please call 888 472-3411 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for other accommodation options.