Many organizations don’t realize that working in a virtual environment is different than working in one that is collocated. There are special skills required and unique circumstances that should be addressed. This workshop provides attendees with practical methods to meet those challenges. Participants will learn the characteristics of a successful remote team member along with the skills required to lead virtual teams. Much time will be spent working with unique situations that are problematic in a distributed environment but maybe not so much in the traditional. Building virtual team processes, selecting appropriate technologies, facilitating team sessions and designing a communications plan that meets the needs of the team are all part of this highly interactive session. Regional communication preferences and stages of cultural adjustment are presented.
This course is designed for distributed team leaders and remote team members.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Learn what it takes to build a successful distributed team
- Understand the competencies, skills and techniques required for the virtual team
- Align team processes with best practices in the virtual environment
- Determine the technology that will most help the team succeed
- Better understand the additional challenges presented when the team is global