- Three or more days training in Agile methods or equivalent knowledge
- Six months to a year experience using Agile.
- Additional training on facilitation and facilitating Agile practices is a plus.
This course provides a deep dive into the mindset, skills, and responsibilities of an Agile coach. Upon completion of this course, you will be able to apply your learned knowledge of coaching terms, responsibilities, and skills to enhance the performance of your teams. Through exercises, role plays, and discussions, you will practice the skills presented in this course.
This course is designed for people who have experience with Agile and want to become an Agile coach. Some roles include: Project Managers, ScrumMasters, Iteration Managers, Product Owners, and Analysts.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the characteristics and mindset of an Agile coach.
- Read the personality combinations in a Team.
- Identify key differences between teaching, facilitating, mentoring, and counseling.
- Choose the right coaching role and switch between roles as dictated by the situation.
- Facilitate neutral meetings and help the Team facilitate meetings.
- Teach an Agile concept or ceremony to a Team.
- Provide mentoring advice on a specific situation to an individual or Team.
- Hold a counseling session with an individual.
- Navigate conflict on a Team.
- Discuss the stages of the Coaching Engagement Lifecycle.
TheAgile Coach and the Team
- What is an Agile coach?
- The Agile coaching mindset
- The three Cs of coaching
- Observing the Team
- When to engage
- Working with a Team
- Shu Ha Ri
- What is facilitation?
- Building consensus
- Facilitation core competencies
- Facilitate a meeting
- Facilitate an Agile Team
- Agile meetings and ceremonies
- A coach’s approach to Agile meetings
- Evaluate facilitation scenarios
- Tips for facilitating specific Agile meetings and ceremonies
- What is a teacher?
- What do they need to do?
- Learning styles
- Bloom’s Taxonomy
- Evaluate teaching scenarios
- Teaching tools
- Characteristics of a good Agile teacher
- Teach an Agile method or ceremony
- What is a mentor?
- Mentor the Scrum Master, Product Owner, Manager, and Sponsor/Stakeholder
- Evaluate mentoring scenarios
- Chararcteristics of a good Agile mentor
- Hold a mentoring session
- What is a counselor?
- Powerful questions
- The counseling conversation
- Evaluate counseling scenarios
- Characteristics of a good Agile counselor
- Conduct a Coaching Conversation
Putting it All Together
- Chose the right role
- Characteristics of a good Agile coach
- Evaluate your strengths
- Conduct a coaching conversation
- Failure and success modes
The Coaching Engagement Lifecycle
- Preparing for the engagement
- Starting the engagement
- Learn about the Team
- Assessment approaches
- During the engagement
- Handling conflict
- Monitoring the Team
- Wrapping up the engagement
- After the engagement