TEKSYSTEMS IS COMMITTED | to fulfilling what we believe is our obligation to the local communities in which we operate, as well as to society and the environment at large. It is our obligation to put the best interests of our employees, customers, communities and environment at the forefront of our strategies and goals. Our official corporate and social responsibility mission statement outlines our main areas of focus:
National Education Foundation (NEF)
TEKsystems recently announced a new partnership with the National Education Foundation (NEF), a national nonprofit focused on closing the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM+) skills gap in the school system. NEF's mission of educating and training through technology, with the intention of better preparing students to enter the workforce, aligns closely with TEKsystems' goals and values.
TEKsystems is contributing to NEF's efforts to establish STEM+ cyber learning academies and mentorship at disadvantaged schools in six markets across the United States: Baltimore (Ft. Meade, Md.); Raleigh, N.C.; Chicago (Schaumburg, lll.); Dallas; Denver and Seattle. In addition, our local offices and consultants in each market will be involved through activities and mentorship programs that can impact the students or parents/guardians in the NEF program. This initiative reinforces TEKsystems' efforts to support the communities where our employees live and work.
TEKsystems is proud to partner with Enactus, formerly known as Students in Free Enterprise. An international nonprofit that works with leaders in business and higher education to mobilize university students to make a difference, Enactus seeks to develop the skills necessary to become socially responsible business leaders.
TEKsystems' contribution helps Enactus sponsor national university competitions that challenge student teams to take an entrepreneurial approach to developing community outreach projects. This partnership allows TEKsystems to make a difference in the local community while also recruiting talented university students and helping them find jobs.
We believe in giving back and helping to build and develop the future workforce. We've historically partnered with our parent company, Allegis Group, and the Allegis Group Foundation to assist our employees with community volunteerism by providing financial aid for eligible organizations. Today, we manage the Allegis Group Foundation funds allocated for TEKsystems by working directly with employees to provide charitable matching donations. Last year, the Allegis Group Foundation committed over $1 million to eligible organizations.
As an organization, TEKsystems supports many charitable organizations, both at the company level and the local office level, including:
- American Cancer Society
- American Diabetes Association
- American Heart Association
- Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired
- Autism Speaks
- Blair Early Childhood Development School
- Canadian Cancer Society
- CollegeBound Foundation
- Habitat for Humanity
- Kennedy Krieger Institute
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Living Classrooms
- Make a Wish Foundation
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Parents and Researchers Interested in Smith-Magenis Syndrome
- Ronald McDonald House Charities
- Special Olympics
- Tomorrow Children's Fund
TEKsystems recognizes we have a part in protecting the environment. We seek to lessen our environmental impact and reduce our carbon footprint. Below is a sampling of standard programs and efforts for our corporate headquarters and local offices.
- Introduced desk-side recycling bins, improving the convenience of recycling for all employees, and provide multiple recycling-only bins for paper, glass, plastic and aluminum products. All shredded documents are baled and recycled through our document destruction vendor.
- Increased the percent of employees paid through direct deposit to 88 percent, saving millions of checks and envelopes.
- Reduced the percent of consultants who fax timecards to less than 5 percent (they now use online Web sheets), saving paper and energy.
- Virtualized 44 of 58 servers for various applications used every day, reducing 40 percent of Web servers and their associated energy usage.
- Reduced non-biodegradable landfill waste by eliminating disposable cups made of expanded polystyrene foam (i.e., Styrofoam) and provided every new employee with a hard-plastic drinking cup and ceramic mug for daily use.
- Purchased green office and cleaning supplies. Last year, nearly 20 percent of our office supplies purchased nationally were recycled or environmentally friendly products.
- Encouraged double-sided printing to reduce our paper consumption.
- Implemented new technology to reduce the energy consumption of our data centers.
- Installed motion-sensor lighting throughout offices to save energy when areas are not in use.
To learn about corporate social responsibility at Allegis Group, parent company of TekSystems, click here.